At UCLH (University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) our success starts with you.
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of the largest and most successful Foundation Trusts in the UK with an international reputation and a tradition of innovation.
Based in the busy West End of London, we have a lively and vibrant working atmosphere, with quick and easy transport links to all our sites. Our size and resources enable us to offer a range of attractive benefits as well as unparalleled education and development opportunities for staff at all levels. This includes an extensive portfolio of academic and clinical courses and programmes ranging from ongoing personal development through to clinical excellence and leadership skills. UCLH prides itself on its investment in staff both in terms of developing career skills but also its commitment to staff health and wellbeing.Senior Staff Nurse Infection (Mat Cover)
As part of the continued development of our team on T08 we are looking for Senior Staff Nurse, Band 6.
Successful individuals will be actively looking to enhance their current clinical skills whilst beginning the process of developing into becoming a senior nursing leader on the ward.
T8 is a busy Medical ward with a diverse mix of acuity and complexity of patient needs, we have 43 beds with 22 of these being side rooms. The wards clinical teams are Respiratory, Tropical medicine, Infectious Diseases, Immunology and Rheumatology. We also have 8 of these beds allocated to Infectious Haematology patients and have two Haematology nurses specifically allocated to look after those patients. Each side of the ward has a nurse in charge/co-ordinator and each side has an allocated ward sister.The key duties of the role include:
- Take charge of the shift in the absence of senior staff and co-ordinate the multidisciplinary team
- Supervise and support team members and ensure that all patients receive appropriate care
- Develop general ward / department management skills and clinical expertise
- Assess and monitor staffing requirements and report problems to the appropriate manager
- Develop roster-ing skills to ensure safe and appropriate staffing numbers and skill mix.
- Assist with recruitment and selection of staff after undergoing appropriate training
- Assist with annual staff appraisals, addressing personal development plans (PDP) and monitoring/managing performance
- Develop an awareness of directorate/divisional management processes
- Develop and maintain awareness of budgeting and resource management
- Manage allocated resources effectively and efficiently, e.g. correct staffing numbers/ skill mix for patient dependency, bed management, utilisation of time and equipment
- Ensure prudent use of bank and agency staff in line with Trust / local policy and available budget
- Report when the availability of supplies falls below an acceptable standard or level
Our focus is always to provide the best possible patient care and our team values reflect those of the Trust: Safety, Kindness, Teamwork and Improving. As an acute medical ward we require a minimum of 6 months experience within an acute healthcare setting.Please note this role’s fixed term contract is for the purpose of covering maternity leave and therefore the end date is subject to change in line with this.For further details / informal visits contact:Chelsie Sills Apply All candidates for posts at UCLH are required to complete our values assessment.In the ‘Further Links’ section to the right of this advert, please follow the link to the UCLH Values Assessment Tool. Once you have completed the assessment and scored highly enough, you will receive a certificate number. In order to start your application, you must copy and paste (do not type) your certificate number into your application form when requested.The certificate covers all applications you make to UCLH for 6 months - you do not need to take the test for each job application you make. After 6 months you may complete the assessment again.If you have lost your certificate number, you can have a reminder sent to your email address by accessing the Values Assessment Certificate Number Reminder tool in the ‘Further Links’ section to the right of this advert.Please note that if you are at present in a training positio